BABA Ecolodge is located on the stunning and very much off the beaten path little slice of Thai island paradise that is Ko Phra Thong Island. Located within the Mu Ko Ra–Ko Phra Thong National Park, the island is locally renowned for its pristine nature and unique ecology. Ko Phra Thong’s interior is covered in golden savanna and home to rare deer, incredible birdlife most notably the now endangered lesser adjutant stork and magnificent hornbills, and turtles still nest on the island’s beautifully quiet beaches. And not forgetting the marine life, with lots of opportunities for snorkeling both from the beach and on the reefs nearby.
The 27 villas of this beachside eco-resort are all individually hand-built from local materials and paying homage to traditional Thai home-style architecture. Carefully set beachside and facing west to ensure the sunset views or within the woodland that lines the beach, each villa at BABA Ecolodge is positioned to ensure peace, quiet and privacy for all guests. Villa designs are unique to each one, and cleverly designed to ensure lots of natural light and natural cooling from the gentle sea breezes. With gardens and terraces there are lots of spaces to enjoy the surrounding nature and views from each villa. BABA Ecolodge has 1, 2 and 3-bedroom villas, so there is a villa to suit every occasion, from romantic couples to family get togethers. The resort takes its eco claim seriously and employs many sustainability practices within the management of the resort from produce either grown in its own gardens or sourced carefully from local organic growers and farmers, to zero tolerance to single use plastics and avoiding use of all kitchen and cleaning products that could harm the local environment. The beach that fronts BABA Ecolodge is 12kms of soft fine sand with a gentle sea lapping at the shore. To the rear of the resort, as BABA Ecolodge sits on a peninsula of land that curves off the main island, is a wide circular bay where the resort’s boat comes in to drop off or pick-up guests. The Clubhouse at BABA Ecolodge is where the restaurant and bar is located, offering wonderful dining options from Thai and International cuisines. The resort also has a Yoga Sala, Tour Desk, Boat, Boutique featuring a lot of unique pieces from Thai artisans and designers, Thai Massage, and WiFi provided in the Clubhouse bar and restaurant. BABA Ecolodge is THE perfect place to enjoy truly SLOW life with a back to nature and off grid vibe. Very much off the beaten path yet only 2.5hrs from Phuket Airport, or a little over an hour to Ranong Airport. Peaceful, beautiful, and with a wonderfully warm service style, this is a place that will live on in your moments of reverie long after you’ve left the island.
Valerie and Jochen
Your Hosts and The Team
“So many peaceful places in Thailand and elsewhere have become overrun by tourists. Not here. Our mission is to preserve what has become a rarity—an unspoilt island far away from it all with privately owned houses by the sea, where time seems to have stopped.”
The Private Beach Villas
The Private Jungle Villas
The Family Beach Villas
The Family Jungle Villas
Facilities and Highlights
- The Bay Club: The beach bar at BABA Ecolodge is located at the circular bay at the top end, north, of the resort. Set on the beachside of the bay the beach bar serves a full range of food and beverages including refreshing juices, cocktails, draft beers and fresh strawberries with straws, a choice of the freshest salads and the resort’s famed stone-oven pizzas.
- The Little Island Shop: wines and snacks, beach fashion, spa products, and local artisan and designer craft souvenirs.
- Yoga Sala: Yoga classes are held twice daily at 8am and 4.30pm. Hatha-based and Vinyasa flow is offered for the morning yoga class. The afternoon classes include gentle yoga along with meditation and Pranayama (breathing techniques). All skill levels are catered for.
- The Jungle Spa: Tropical massage and spa treatments are available at the ocean facing Sala.
- The Clubhouse: positioned to share stunning sea views from the first-floor bar and ground floor restaurant. Serving international and Thai cuisine, all dishes are prepared with locally sourced ingredients, with the freshest fish bought daily from the island’s fishermen, poultry and pork from the resort’s own farm, and locally grown fruit, vegetables and herbs. Breakfast is served at the Clubhouse too.
- Ko Phra Thong Island is a haven for wildlife. The range of habitats include the savanna, tropical forest, tidal rivers and the ocean, all blessing the island with wonderful birdlife. More than 100 species have been identified including rare species such as the Asian open-billed stork, lesser adjutant, Indian roller and the brown fish owl. The island is a paradise for bird watchers.
GENERALTotal number of rooms: 27
Time zone: (GMT+07:00) Bangkok
Currency accepted: THB
Credit cards accepted: Visa, Mastercard, American Express
Electricity voltage: 220V
Electricity plug type:
CONCIERGEYour concierge is ready to assist you with planning and completing your reservation, contact them on firstname.lastname@example.org
ACCESSThe island is easily accessed from both Ranong and Phuket airports, from where it is either a 1hr or 2.5hr drive respectively to Kuraburi Pier from where it’s a short boat ride by longtail or speedboat to the island. We can assist with providing private transfers.
Please Note: If you plan on making your own way to Kuraburi Pier you need to ensure you arrive there before 4 pm when the last public boat leaves.
Airport: Ranong Domestic Airport (UNN) - 100 km
Airport: Phuket International Airport (HKT) - 190 km
ADDRESSP.O. Box 4, 131 Moo2, T. Ko Phra Thong, A. Kuraburi, 82150 Phang Nga, Thailand
BABA Ecolodge practices sustainable tourism by minimizing its environmental impact. The team recycles all their glass, cardboard, paper, and cans, and only offers draft beer and non-bottled water. The resort does not use freezers preferring to only work with fresh daily bought produce. In addition to its organic gardens, the resort has a nursery where they grow fresh herbs and vegetables. Food waste is collected to feed pigs and chickens, to produce compost for the gardens, and branches and leaves are used to create mulch. 90% of BABA Ecolodge’s staff are employed directly from the island community. Every employee is paid fair wages and receives good benefits. Additionally, the resort is very active within the local community, and is also currently working with the island’s authorities to set up micro loans for farmers to produce organic eggs and chickens.